The Operational Performance Team
The Operational Performance Team (OPT) consists of 1 Group Manager (GM), a team
of 9 Station Mangers (SM) plus 2 Watch Managers. Station-based audits of all
operational Watch Managers and crews are regularly undertaken by the OPT to
ensure high levels of Operational Performance and competence are achieved and
The Incident Management Team
The Incident Management Team (IMT) are an operational team which augment and
supports frontline response to specific incidents, providing command support to
incident commanders. In addition the team delivers several other functions such
as debriefing and training to support and enhance Operational Response.
The IMT are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and operate from Old Swan
Community Fire Station.
Health & Safety Team
Our Vision: ‘SAFER, STRONGER COMMUNITIES; SAFE EFFECTIVE FIREFIGHTERS’
At Merseyside Fire & Rescue Authority we are committed to conducting our
business in a manner that prevents injury or illness to employees, contractors
and the public who may be affected by our work activities. We encourage best
practice in health safety and welfare management within the wider community
We believe that:
- People are our most valuable asset.
- No business objective will take priority over Health Safety.& Welfare
- All injuries and incidents are preventable.
- No task is so important or urgent that it cannot be done safely.
- In a strong safety culture, everyone is responsible for safety and pursues
it on a daily basis.
- All work-related injuries and illnesses are preventable.
- All escapes and emissions of hazardous materials can be prevented.
- We will adhere to the highest standards for the safe disposal of waste materials
- Line managers are accountable for leading the continuous improvement in
occupational health and safety and environmental performance to defined goals.
- Everyone has a personal responsibility and is accountable for their own
safety health and wellbeing, for others in the workplace and for the environment
in which they work.
- Safety and good health are equally important away from work.
- Everyone will be involved in the Occupational Health Safety & Welfare
To achieve this we will
- Maintain and continuously improve the Health and Safety Management System
across the organisation.
- Provide suitable & sufficient training to ensure employees are competent
to do their work
- Provide a balanced focus on the management of health and wellbeing, people
and process safety.
- Proactively pursue the identification of all hazards and eliminate or, if
not possible, manage the risk to as low as reasonably practicable
- Consult with and promote active participation of employees in the
management of their own and others’ health, safety and wellbeing
- Require that companies providing contract services to Merseyside Fire &
Rescue Authority manage their health and safety in line with our Policy.
- Provide resources to achieve a systematic approach to health, people and
process safety management to ensure continuous performance improvement.
- Identify performance measures, set improvement targets, monitor and report
performance at all levels.
- Develop a culture where all employees and contractors are constantly aware
of safety hazards around them and act accordingly to manage risks
Time & Resource Management
Within Time and Resource Management (T&RM) the Time and Resource Management team
are responsible for delivering staffing and attendance services on behalf of the
Authority to ensure MF&RS manages its people resources in the most effective and
efficient manner. As we currently employ in excess of 800 grey book operational
personnel this department is instrumental in achieving our operational and
The service operates a number of shift systems
- Wholetime (4 on, 4 off).
- LLAR (combined day crewing & retained system).
- Self Rostering.
- Flexi Duty System.
In addition to these, a variety of flexible
patterns are being worked at various locations throughout the Service.
The T&RM is also available to act as a single point of contact for all
personnel availability as well as providing guidance to line managers for all