Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service has attended a number of fires involving e-cigarettes while they were charging.
Each fire has been thoroughly investigated in order to understand the reasons which led to the fire in the first instance and in order to limit the chance of fires involving electrical items happening again. As a result of this work we would offer the following advice to users of e-cigarettes (electronic cigarettes):
- Always use electrical equipment in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and guidance.
- Always ensure all electrical appliances have either a British (BS) or European (CE) Safety Mark when you buy them.
- Always ensure that no electrical items are left charging over night or left unattended for a long period when being charged. Never leave e-cigarettes on charge unattended for long periods.
- Do not mix parts from different e-cigarettes.
- Only use the original charger or electrical cables supplied.
- Ensure you purchase electrical items from a
Finally, and most importantly, please ensure you have working smoke alarms on each level of your home and test them regularly - smoke alarms save lives.
For free fire safety advice go to www.merseyfire.gov.uk or call 0800 7315958.