Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service

Our Mission: Safer Stronger Communities - Safe Effective Firefighters.


Merseyside Fire and Rescue Authority is the Petroleum Enforcing Authority for Merseyside.

All workplaces that store and dispense petrol whether mechanically or electrically into the fuel tank of an internal combustion engine, require a Petroleum Certificate. This essentially means all public and private petrol filling stations need to be certificated.

To apply for a Petroleum Certificate or discuss your existing arrangements please contact

For enquiries relating to the safe management of a petrol filling station or general enquiries for the storage of petrol please contact

Further information for Petrol Retailers and Managers of Petrol Filling Stations is available on the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) website and in the Energy Institute publication Petrol Filling Stations Guidance on Managing the Risks of Fire & Explosion (The Red Guide).

Page Top