Page 2 - HOT NEWS JULY 2014
P. 2
Fire Causes
Firefighters extinguished a fire involving a building, a restaurant and a shop in Liverpool.
Partial Collapse
During the height of the fire seven fire appliances were at the scene along with a Combined Platform Ladder, which has a platform on an extendable arm that can be used to put water onto buildings from above roof height. The fire involved part of two three-storey buildings and
a one-storey building.
After two hours and 19 minutes
the incident was being scaled down with firefighters dealing with a number of hot spots in the shop. Damping down operations continued for a number of hours throughout the early hours of the following morning.
Group Manager Gary Oakford said: “Firefighters worked well at the scene to prevent the fire spreading and affecting more shops in London Road. Seven fire appliances were sent to the scene so we had enough people there to tackle the fire and stop its spread.
“Power company engineers were also requested to isolate electricity supplies to a number of buildings in the area to allow the fire to be tackled safely. Part of a
first floor in a store had collapsed into the ground floor.”
Two further shops on London Road had light smoke damage. Part of an unoccupied property near Bridport Street was also affected by fire.
The Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service control room received 15 calls about the fire.
Our Service was called at 8.57pm on Sunday, June 15, to London Road in Liverpool city centre.
Fire appliances from Liverpool City, Kensington, Toxteth, Kirkdale, Wallasey, Aintree, Allerton, Whiston, Speke and Garston
community fire stations attended the call-out.
Chain Reaction
A boy’s hand was freed by firefighters after it became stuck in a bike chain.
Fire crews from Old Swan Community Fire Station and the Search and Rescue Team attended the incident in Dovecot Avenue, Dovecot.
Fire crews helped the three-year-old male whose hand had been trapped in the bike chain.
Firefighters used bolt cutters to release the child's hand and gave him First Aid before he was taken to Alder Hey Hospital by his family.
Watch Manager Andy Cuthel, who attended the call-out with Green Watch at Old Swan Community Fire Station, said: “The child had caught his hand by accident in the bike chain and we used our bolt cutters to free his hand. We are trained in First Aid and applied bandages to the hand once it was freed and offered reassurance to the boy and those at the scene before he was taken to hospital.”
The call-out was on April 29.
Firefighters were called out to an industrial estate in Knowsley after a man had his hand trapped in machinery.
Firefighters used socket set equipment to release the casualty from the machinery at an industrial estate on East Lancashire Road. The man was taken to Aintree Hospital by ambulance for further treatment.
Two fire appliances from Kirby and Newton-le-Willows community fire stations attended along with the Search and Rescue Team and the Incident Management Team. The call-out was on June 13.
Photos: Chris Phillips.

   1   2   3   4   5