Page 12 - HOT NEWS NOV 2014
P. 12
A teenager who received burns to his face when an aerosol can thrown onto a fire exploded helped our Service highlight safety messages.
Keegan Morton was injured by the fire which had been started in Edgemore Close, Birkenhead and was taken to hospital.
The 14-year-old supported our bonfire safety campaign this year and the campaign was also backed by Everton FC player Ross Barkley.
looked horrific in hospital. Keegan knows how lucky he was that there were no lasting scars,” Keegan’s mum Kelly added.
Following the injury, Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service staff highlighted bonfire and fire safety messages to two nearby schools.
Group Manager Paul Murphy, district manager for Wirral, said: “The boy had suffered burns to his face and hair and was taken to Arrowe Park Hospital where he was treated. This is a distressing example of what can go wrong with fires on public land including streets.
“People starting fires do not know what is inside wheelie bins or skips and the fires they start can pose a risk to those people as well.
“There was an organised Bonfire staged on the night, November 6, a few streets from where this injury happened and people could have attended that event.”
A fire appliance from Birkenhead Community Fire Station attended the scene on November 6, 2013, and gathered information about what had happened.
Firefighters extinguished the remaining ashes from the bonfire, which was on a small area of grass. Firefighters had left the scene by 9.36pm.
The public were asked to report unsafe bonfires that were not yet lit or to report storage of bonfire materials for removal during the run-up to November 5 by calling 0800 7315958.
Adel Fattah, a consultant surgeon in plastic surgery at Alder Hey, treats children and young people from across the north-west, when they are admitted from other hospitals for burns.
Adel said: “One moment’s thoughtlessness or carelessness can quickly turn to life-long difficulties. These painful burns, usually to the face and hands, require extensive and often uncomfortable
treatment and can lead to life-long scarring.”
Group Manager Paul Murphy with Keegan Morton and Adel Fattah, a consultant surgeon in plastic surgery at Alder Hey, at Birkenhead Community Fire Station. Photo: Chris Phillips.
Keegan said: “A small fire was burning near to where me and a friend were playing and we started throwing things on it – bits of wood, paper and aerosols. Using a stick I leaned over the fire and poked an aerosol. There was a really loud bang and a bright flash of light. At first I was unsure what had happened then everyone started to panic and scream. My face felt like it was on fire.”
He started to scream in pain alerting nearby workers in a play centre. His mother and brother were also called and they took Keegan to Arrowe Park Hospital.
Keegan said: “I really began to get scared. I was screaming in pain because my face felt like it was on fire. I was given drugs for the pain and so doctors could look at my face. From then I do not remember much.”
Keegan’s mother Kelly Morton said: “It was decided that due to Keegan’s injuries he would be put to sleep. This was because burns keep on burning deep down and the doctors didn’t know how badly his throat was burnt. Blisters started appearing all over his face. He had no eyebrows or eyelashes and his hair was burnt. We were quite calm until it was explained to us the ventilator was keeping him alive.”
Keegan was transferred to Alder Hey Hospital for further treatment.
“I can honestly say it was the worse night of my life. We were told by the nurses that Keegan was lucky that he had closed his eyes as that had saved his sight. His face
Keegan in hospital after the aerosol can exploded in the Bonfire. Photo supplied by Keegan Morton’s family.

   10   11   12   13   14