Page 8 - Hot_News_June_2015
P. 8

A dog was rescued from the water by the Service’s Marine Rescue Unit.
The King Charles Spaniel, called Oscar, was found in the River Mersey by the Marine Rescue Unit around 10-metres from a sea wall after the call-out on May 19.
Marine Rescue Unit Team Leader Iain Holgate said: “The Marine Rescue Unit were tasked by Liverpool Coastguard to reports of a dog that had entered the River Mersey near Magazine Lane in Wallasey.
“We launched into a rough sea and located the dog in the river. The dog was near the sea wall just off the coast of Wallasey and the waves were coming back off the sea wall which meant the dog was struggling to keep its head above the water.
“We recovered the dog into the Marine Rescue Unit boat, Marine Fire One, in arduous conditions and returned to the River Mersey Community Fire and Rescue Station on
Smoke alarms alert Man
A man was left with burns to a hand and parts of his legs after attempting to extinguish a fire involving a chip pan.
Firefighters were called out to a flat on Prescot Road, in Liverpool, at around 2.50am on Thursday, May 14.
Smoke alarms alerted the occupier to the fire and it is thought the man received injuries after attempting to move the chip pan.
The fire was out when firefighters arrived and the man was taken to hospital.
Watch Manager Ian Pollock, who attended the call-out with firefighters from Green Watch at Kensington Community Fire Station, said: “Smoke alarms alerted the occupier and allowed those inside to evacuate the building safely. We advise people to have working smoke alarms on each level of their home.
“The man received burns when he tried to extinguish the chip pan fire himself. We urge people to never put
water onto heated oil in a chip pan or onto a chip pan fire as it can cause fire to spread rapidly and unpredictably. We suspect this is how the man was injured in this case.
“If you discover a fire, then we advise people, if possible, to close the door to the room where the fire is and to make sure they get out, stay out and call 999.
“We also urge people to never leave food cooking unattended.”
The chip pan and its contents were severely damaged by fire along with the cooker extractor hood. Around 25% of a kitchen cupboard was also damaged by heat and there was smoke damage to around 50% of the remainder of the kitchen.
Firefighters had left the scene by 3.07am. A fire appliance from Kensington Community Fire Station and one from Liverpool City Community Fire Station attended the call-out.
the Pier Head. We also gave oxygen to the dog and wrapped it in dry,
warm materials as the dog was suffering the effects of water
The Marine Rescue Unit were back from the rescue within 25 minutes of the call for assistance.
The dog’s owner, Phil Lewis, was escorted by a Coastguard team to the River Mersey Community Fire and Rescue
Station and was reunited with their pet.
Phil, 53, said: “I would like to thank all the emergency services. All the services did a marvellous job and I’m overwhelmed that they did it for my dog.”
The dog pictured after the rescue. Photo supplied by Team Leader Iain Holgate.

   6   7   8   9   10