Page 8 - Hot_News_March_2016
P. 8

Crew Swoop to Hawk Rescue
Watch Manager Eddie Parry and RSPCA Animal Collection Officer Derek Hampson rescue the hawk.
“The hawk was very tame and we were glad to be able to help rescue her.”
Firefighters were called out by the RSPCA to rescue a Harris hawk stuck in a tree on Devilla Close in Dovecot, Liverpool in January.
Crews used a combined platform ladder to rescue the female bird, which was trapped in the tree approximately 40ft off the ground by its jessies (small straps used to tether hawks in falconry).
Watch Manager Eddie Parry, who carried out the rescue together with RSPCA Animal Collection Officer Derek Hampson, said: “The hawk was stuck high up in the tree and was being attacked by seagulls and crows.
“She was too high to be rescued by ladders so we used a combined platform ladder in order to reach her. We cut down the branch she was caught on and ACO Hampson brought the bird to safety.”
The bird was unharmed and taken in to the care of the
RSPCA to be checked by a vet. Crews were at the scene for around one hour.
ACO Hampson, said: "When I arrived I saw this hawk 40ft high and she was being attacked by gulls and crows.
"Due to the height of the bird, I rang the fire service and they were absolutely brilliant.
"I went in the cherry picker with two of the crew and reached out to get her when we were at the right height.
"It was very professional and the fire service knew the best way to go about it.
"The hawk was absolutely gorgeous and thankfully was not injured. She was swiftly reunited with her owner."
Firefighters investigate fumes from manhole
Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service were mobilised following reports of five United Utilities contractors suffering adverse effects from unknown fumes emanating from a manhole cover in January.
Firefighters arrived at Miller’s Bridge in Bootle and requested the attendance of North West Ambulance Service (NWAS) so the five workers could receive precautionary health checks.
After checking the wind speed and direction with HM Coastguard, Firefighters made the decision to close roads around the area with the support of Merseyside Police and a 50-metre cordon was placed around the area as a safety measure during the investigation process.
North West Ambulance Service’s HART (Hazardous Area Response Team) assessed the casualties who were showing no further signs of ill effects from inhaling the fumes and did not need to attend hospital.
After a multi-agency meeting involving Firefighters, NWAS, Merseyside Police, United Utilities and local businesses,
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the manhole to take samples using monitoring equipment.
After samples were analysed, the source was discovered to be an industrial solvent. The chamber was cordoned off and readings outside of the cordon showed the wider area to be safe. Road closures were lifted and the scene was handed over to United Utilities to monitor.
Safe and sound: The rescued hawk poses for pictures.
Fire crews at the scene on Miller’s Bridge Road in Bootle.

   6   7   8   9   10