Page 13 - Hot_New_Summer_2106
P. 13

Rapid ReSponSe wateR ReScueS
Firefighters were called to the River Mersey close to Jericho Lane on Otterspool Promenade following reports of a person in the water.
Two fire engines, the Search and Rescue Team and the Marine Fire One rescue boat were tasked to the incident.
Prior to the attendance of MFRS, an off-duty Merseyside Firefighter and a member of the public had entered the river to assist an unconscious male casualty by keeping him afloat and maintaining an airway.
The man was rescued from the water by crews from the MFRS Marine Rescue Unit, who brought him aboard the Marine Fire One rescue boat and gave him CPR and oxygen.
Firefighters were called to Waterloo Dock in Liverpool following reports of a car entering the water.
Two fire engines and the Search and Rescue Team were deployed to the incident.
Reports from a witness at Alexandra Tower approximately a mile away indicated that the vehicle had crashed through a barrier before submerging to a depth of 10 feet.
Quick decisions by operators in MFRS Control ensured that, despite limited information, the most effective and suitable resources were deployed.
Three Firefighters entered the water in dry suits to search for and rescue the occupant of the vehicle.
Following a dynamic risk assessment, Firefighters formulated a rescue plan to extricate and recover the vehicle’s occupant to safety.
He was taken by boat to the Marine Rescue Unit at Pier Head and handed in to the care of paramedics, before being taken to Royal Liverpool University Hospital.
Both men who assisted the casualty were also taken by boat to the Marine Rescue Unit and assessed at the scene by paramedics. One of the men was taken to Royal Liverpool University Hospital for further checks.
Station Manager Franny Hill, who served as Incident Commander at the scene, said: “This was a heroic deed by an off-duty firefighter and a member of the public who risked their own lives in very cold water to save a man’s life.”
Crews broke the vehicle’s window and retrieved the casualty from inside the submerged vehicle while other crew members stood by to ensure their safety.
The casualty was placed on a stretcher and removed from the water and into the care of North West Ambulance Service. The casualty was unresponsive and not breathing as both NWAS and Firefighters performed CPR at the scene.
Sadly, the casualty was later confirmed as deceased.
Station Manager Dean Bolton, Incident Commander at the scene, said: “Our thoughts remain with the family of the deceased,
who we were sadly unable to save despite the best efforts of Fire Control, Firefighters, NWAS and Air Ambulance colleagues.”

   11   12   13   14   15