Building Fire, Fox street, Liverpool City Centre


Location: Liverpool City Centre

Fire crews have been called to a large fire on Fox Street, Liverpool City Centre, L3. 12 fire engines and two aerial appliances are in attendance. Crews were alerted at 2.18pm and on scene at 2.23pm. Crews arrived to find a four storey building 100 metres x 50 metres well alight. The incident has been divided into sectors, with firefighters wearing breathing apparatus fighting the fire with main branch hoses. The building is showing signs of collapse and fire crews are evacuating buildings.

The incident is ongoing. Please avoid the area. Residents and businesses nearby should close windows and doors. 

If you have an existing health condition, keep medicines nearby and if any ill effects occur dial NHS 111 for advice.


The incident has been declared a major incident. The fire is divided into 4 sectors, with ground monitor main branch hoses, multiple main branch hoses and a combined platform ladder in use. 12 fire engines and 2 aerial appliances are still on scene. Merseyside Police are also in attendance and are assisting MFRS with the evacuation of the building. A cordon is in place around the building and the wider area, with road closures in place.

Road closures have been introduced on Great Homer Street, Fox Street, Rose Place, Great Richmond Street, Richmond Brow, Netherfield Road South, Everton Brow and Prince Edwin Street to allow emergency services to attend the scene. 

There are no reports of any casualties.


The incident is no longer classed as a major incident and successful firefighting tactics have resulted in the fire being greatly reduced, with the main body of fire now extinguished. Great Homer Street has been reopened for vehicle access.


The incident is currently being scaled down to six fire engines and two aerial appliances and residents nearby are being allowed to return to their homes. Residents should continue to keep doors and windows shut. Fire crews on scene are now dealing with hot spots and small pockets of fire. 


The incident has been scaled down to 3 fire engines. Hot spotting continues with high pressure hose reels and main branch hoses. A structural engineer has attended and advised that they are satisfied with the structural integrity of the building. Merseyside Police will maintain an outer cordon at the incident scene.


Firefighters have been using main jet and high pressure hose reels throughout the night, with relief crews checking for hot spots with the aid of lighting rigs. Late last night the incident was scaled back to one fire engine. One fire engine has remained, with firefighters hotspotting and using Thermal Imaging Cameras to check the area and damp down as necessary. There are now no visible hot spots or smoke in the area. Merseyside Police are still maintaining an outer cordon.


Firefighting activity has ceased and there are no fire engines currently on scene.

An investigation into the cause is ongoing.