Location: Willow Park, Newton-le-Willows
Firefighters were called to Willow Park, Newton-le-Willows, at around 3.30pm on Saturday 31st October following reports that a dog was trapped in the lake.
One fire engine from Merseyside attended, as well as Cheshire Fire & Rescue Service’s engine from Warrington. MFRS’ search & rescue appliance also attended.
On arrival crews found one dog trapped in the lake. MFRS & CFRS crews worked together to rescue the dog using CFRS’ inflatable boat.
The dog was handed over to the owner unharmed. The owner was assessed at the scene by paramedics from North West Ambulance Service due to entering the water prior to the fire service’s arrival.
Fire crews left the scene at 4.04pm.
Follow these important safety tips near water:
• If you are going for a walk or run near water, stick to proper pathways and stay clear of the water’s edge
• Avoid walking or running near water in the dark, if it's slippery or in bad weather
• If you've had alcohol or drugs don't enter the water; avoid walking alone and avoid routes near water
• Don't enter the water to try to help a person or animal - always call 999 and use any water rescue equipment if it is available
• If you are spending time near water - whether at home or abroad - make sure you are familiar with local safety information