Building Collapse, Anfield Road, Liverpool


Location: Anfield Road, Liverpool

Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service are in attendance at an incident on Anfield Road, Liverpool.

Crews were alerted at 22.36 with two fire engines and the search and rescue team on scene at 22.41.

This is one brick built three storey end terraced property, under renovation and unoccupied. One gable end involving the first, second, and rear of the property has collapsed. This is affecting the junction of Arkles Road and one street lamp as a result.

Fire Service personnel have established cordons around the building and have requested the city council, structural engineer, as well as utility companies Cadent and Scottish Power.

Merseyside Police and North West Ambulance Service are also in attendance.

Neighbouring properties have been evacuated and there is no evidence of life risk within the affected property.

A building inspector and Cadent are now on scene and a multi agency meeting has taken place. An inspection of the building will take place from a safe distance to determine next steps.

This is an ongoing incident, please avoid the area.

UPDATE 11.15 Monday 11th December

Fire Service personnel gained access to the affected property just after midnight to enable Cadent to isolate the gas supply. Shortly after, the electricity to the premises was also isolated and local authority contractors and Highways attended scene.

At 00.53 on the morning of Monday 11th December the incident scaled down with the plan of action being for one fire engine to remain in attendance to manage scene safety until appropriate contractors arrive with plant machinery to make the affected building safe. Following this, Fire Service will handover to the local authority, while Merseyside Police will continue to maintain cordon.

The building surveyor advised that the demolition team will return at 03.00 with appropriate equipment. The surveyor’s plan was to remove gable end, roof and front of building to first floor level, while the dig team would disconnect the electrical supply at the front to the property as well as disconnect the lamp post affected.

Crews completed a search of ground and basement levels, and the first floor was inspected externally by the demolition team. Police remained in attendance to maintain the cordon during demolition works.

Fire Service personnel then handed over the scene to the building surveyor, in advance of leaving the scene at 02.36 on the morning of Monday 11th December.