More than half of all house fires start in the kitchen. You can prevent this by following the safety tips below.
- NEVER leave your cooking unattended. If you need to leave the kitchen for any reason, turn off the heat until you go back into the kitchen. And don't forget to double check you have turned off the hob and the cooker once you have finished cooking
- KEEP loose clothing and tea towels away from flames. They can catch fire quickly and cause nasty injuries or even worse
- AVOID cooking when you are tired/drowsy or have been drinking alcohol
- CLEAN your oven and grill regularly. A build-up of fat or grease can easily ignite and cause a fire
- AVOID using chip pans. Electric deep fat fryers are much safer. NEVER put water on a chip pan or oil fire.