Smoking is the number one cause of accidental fire deaths in the UK. Reduce the risk by attempting to quite, using NHS support if you need it.
If you or somebody in your home smokes, you need to take extra care to ensure you stay safe.
- Never smoke in bed or in a chair where you might fall asleep - if you fall asleep while your cigarette is still burning you could cause a major fire
- Use a proper heavy ashtray that cannot be tipped over easily
- Don't empty your ashtray straight into a bin as the embers and ash could still be hot and cause a fire
- Keep matches and lighters away from children
- Smoke outdoors - this is safer than smoking indoors
- Never discard cigarettes or smoking materials on or over balconies
- Stub cigarettes out properly and dispose of them carefully. Put them out, right out
- Counterfeit and illegal cigarettes can increase fire risk. If you are not ready to quit, only buy legal cigarettes
- DON'T leave e-cigarettes charging overnight
- ALWAYS follow the manufacturer's guidelines